Saturday, October 13, 2007

An Indian summer....

It's October in London, but after a miserably wet summer, a dawns bright and cheerful. There is a nip in the air, but once the fog & rain have been burnt back, the days are pleasantly sunny. Riding in Hyde Park is a pleasure, with the horses walking with a spring in their step.

Saturday has dawned cheerfully. The tall church spire that my bedroom window looks out over is dappled in a warm yellow glow as the sun nips back and forth from behind the clouds. My t-shirt is covered in fine white hair, left there by Seamus the funny little horse when he threw his head back and brushed my front with his mane. And I'm listening to what could be a melancholy song, but actually it feels so right...


I heard there was a secret chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?

It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth,
the minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah.

Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelu----jah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof,
you saw her bathing on the roof,
her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you.

She tied you to a kitchen chair,
she broke your throne, she cut your hair,
and from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelu----jah

Maybe I have been here before,
I know this room; I have walked this floor,
I used to live alone before I knew you

I've seen your flag on the marble arch,
love is not a victory march,
it's a cold and its a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelu----jah

There was a time you let me know
whats really going on below,
but now you never show it to me, do you? (and)

Remember when I moved in you;
the holy dark was moving too,
and every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelu----jah

Maybe there's a God above,
and all I ever learned from love
was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you

And its not a cry you can hear at night,
its not somebody who's seen the light,
its a cold and its a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelu----jah

Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelu----jah....

Lyrics by ?
(I've got the Leonard Cohen, Rufus Wainwright & K.D. Lang versions...)

4 comments:

MM said...

I loved those lyrics!
Thx! U just made my day, or night rather..

:)

V-E-L-U

Anonymous said...

you should listen to the imogen heap version as well. email me if you want the mp3 :)
-shahpar

S. said...

The lyrics *are* by Leonard Cohen. And the K.D. Lang version is easily my favorite.

Maja said...

If I were a religious person, Rufus would pretty much be my god *sigh* And I adore Leonard Cohen as well, so I was doubly thrilled to see Hallelujah on your blog :)
If you haven't heard Jeff Buckley's version yet, I can't recommend it enough, it's one of the most hauntingly beautiful things ever.