Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Bollywood Samba

So I was browsing the net trying to find the Tibetan name for India, which, if memory serves me well, means "the Land of Dance". However, old age and the stress of the current markets is obviously catching up with me, and as a result, I'm reduced to random googling to get the answers to many of my questions about Life, the Universe and Everything.

Having said that, the joy of random googling is the serendipity with which I occasionally run across the most fascinating and/ or unexpected websites out there. My search for the land of dance led me to the site Bollywood Brazil, which is a site set up by a Sao Paolo based production company, and aims to increase awareness among Indian television and film producers about the potential of filming in Brazil. After the runaway success of Dhoom 2, which was extensively filmed on the beaches near Rio de Janeiro, I guess the potential revenues associated with more Bollywood productions being filmed in Brazil was too juicy an opportunity to resist. I'm also beginning to wonder how popular Bollywood films are in Brazil; I know for a fact that Latin America is a significant foreign market for the industry, and that the first language that Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai was translated into was Spanish, primarily to cater to this audience, but there definitely warrants more exploring...

And to make sure that this post is of suitable intellectual quality, can I just add a comment on how this is yet another example of how globalisation is fostering increased South-South trade....

2 comments:

Sunny Singh said...

Gyagar, ie the land of dance. :-)

Beth said...

So interesting that you bring this up! I had a long conversation with a Colombian diplomat at the Diplomatic Academy of Vienna (where I also met the Indian ambassador to Austria, as you do) about the potential for Bollywood markets in South America. We agreed that there seemed to be several significant shared values and senses of aesthetics, which we thought meant that the general filmi ethos would generally translate well. (Note the repeated use of "general" - we were talking broadly.)