Thursday, June 14, 2007

Shopping...

So after finishing my exams last week, I finally have control over my own free time again. No more needing to lug study notes around on the London tube, or wake up on weekends workplanning my study schedules for the day. So to celebrate, I walked into a bookstore earlier this week, and sort of went a little mad...

First I saw this, which I just HAD to buy...


And my excitement was further heightened when I saw this one:




I was somewhat disappointed to know that this one isn't going to be out in the UK until September, but then soon overcame that when I realised I could buy it from Amazon and have it shipped out from the US.



So that came in today!

I'm already almost through with the Murakami - and I find it fascinating to see how his writing style has evolved over the years. It's still the same spare, whittled down prose that is classically Japanese in its minimalism, but he is suddenly so much more attentive towards the mise-en-scene. At times I get the sense that I'm not so much reading a novel as I am a screenplay - each scene, each frame is composed in his mind and almost effortlessly communicated...

Watch this space for the reviews....

2 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

I attempted "Divisadero" but I think, as with any Michael Ondaatje novel, one must read it sloooowly, savoring the language,looking for hidden meanings...the NYTimes even suggested it's one of those novels that improves on the second reading because it is so willfully elliptical at first. I hope you enjoy it!

Murakami's book has garnered a lot of praise...I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the book.

Velu Nair said...

hope u r having a ball, reading those books.. and yes, looking forward to the reviews too..

:)