Monday, August 14, 2006

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna

Just came back from seeing Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. I must admit, I'm a bit surprised with Karan Johar. He seems to be maturing as a film maker - the tear jerking heavy handedness still abounds, but his stories seem to be getting more mature.

Keep that nose up, otherwise all these crocodile tears will ruin my makeup... This is by no means a full review - that will follow later this week once I've had time to chew the movie over a bit. But for now, let me say that I was actually pleasantly surprised by the fact that for once, ALL his characters were realistically flawed. The leads and supporting cast thankfully didn't overwhelm you with their goodness - there was a kink in all of them.

One other note - I think that Hindi films are the best thing to ever happen to New York City. Like Kal Ho Na Ho, the city seems best when seen through a Bollywood lens. It loses its grimy, seedy flavour, and suddenly looks warm and inviting...perhaps that's already enough of an accomplishment.

I liked the movie - it was a bit too long, but the story was believable. I went expecting to have my heartstrings plucked viciously, as they were in Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, but the movie kept its keel.

So until the review, let me just say, its not earth shattering, but passably good. Probably a 3 out of a 5...

1 comment:

Beth said...

1) being "pleasantly" surprised is a good, good thing when it comes to Karan Johar, in my book, anyway
2) I just have to say, because it is my adopted home, that being filmed in Toronto for Hindi films may be the best thing that ever happened to NYC.... Huge chunks of KHNH are in Toronto.
3) lesser importance, but: beautiful choice of image for your post - I love Rani more than just about anything and what a great shot of her looking sophisticated and lost in thought (or so it seems to me - I have no idea what's going on in the movie at this point!)